For more than thirty years Peter Janetzki has been reading, research and presenting on the topic of Human Sexuality and Relationships. This combined with thousands of hours of face to face counselling has resulted in a through understanding of the complexities of human relationships and sexuality.
From this vast experience Peter has developed a team (including Jess Grounds & Craig Thomas) who have been interacting with teens and young adults to help them receive accurate information so that they can navigate the confusing world of relationships.
In spite of our society being perceived as sexually progressive there are still high levels of ignorance in regards to many important issues to healthy relationships especially amongst teenagers. Hence ‘Smart Relationship’ provides comprehensive education programs based on research and accurate information, to assist young people in avoiding the dangers of unhealthy relationships that are often modelled and promoted by our popular culture.
Smart Relationships core program has been the ‘Why Not Just Wait’ which is a comprehensive sexuality education program for High Schools that is broad based going beyond the ‘safe sex’ mantra of most sex education programs. The standard program is outlined below, however programs can be modified to suit the individual needs of any school.
- Year 7/8 – An Overview of Sexuality, Puberty and Changes
- Year 8/9 – Understanding Love, Choosing Wisely, Conception, Pregnancy, Birth & Parenting, Contraception, The Saying No Strategy
- Year 9/10 – Ingredients of Healthy & Unhealthy Relationships – Communication Skills, Conflict Resolution, Reasons Why Teens Begin Having Sex, Possible Consequences (STD’s/STI’s), Contraception Effectiveness, The MYTH of Safe Sex, Reasons for Abstinence.
- Year 11 – What is Sexual Integrity, The Cost of Sexual Exploitation i.e. Pornography, Prostitution, Understanding and Responding to Sexual Harassment, An Honest Look at Abortion and Adoption.
- Year 12 – Sexual Theology & Beliefs, Holistic Sexual Beliefs, Understanding Male & Female Sex Drive, Thinking Smart & Making Choices. (1½ to 2 hour program).
Young people will do what young people want to do. Consequently we are up front about our values so as to not impose them on students but rather challenge them to examine what we have to offer and to make informed and wise choices.
We believe that Sexuality is not a separate part of our experience in fact it is part of every aspect of life, therefore we approach it holisticly and in the context of relationships. We believe that young people have the right to be given accurate information from sound and reliable research, free from hidden agendas. We believe that every choice has a consequence and that young people are able to make healthy, life giving choices given accurate and relevant information. We are Pro-abstinence for two reasons. Firstly, evidence world wide supports that this is the safe and healthy choice, and secondly our presenters hold to a Christian world view. We also believe that the best place for sexuality education is in a loving and supportive family and what we do is a compliment to this.